Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Patience

(River and I at Farmer's Market)

Patience. Definitely something I could use some more of right about now. I'm 35 weeks pregnant - officially in new territory since Sarah only made it to 34 weeks before we gave birth. I've also been on "bed rest" (aka - lay low and don't do anything mode) for the last week because my body seems to want to go into labor NOW. Bored you ask? Yes. Ready to have this little guy in your arms? YES. Tired of being pregnant for what seems like FOREVER? Why, yes...thank you for asking!

We're on a 37 week plan...just trying to make it to the 37 mark (I guess if they're born before 37 weeks they automatically have to go to the NICU for observation - and we'd like to avoid a baby stuck in an incubator...we had enough drama the last time around!) So two more weeks of laying low. Two more weeks of waiting. Then its free game and anything can happen! Since my body is so eager to get going with this whole process (I can't lie, I am too....and I think I can speak for River as well, he seems a bit restless in there), I think once I hit 37 weeks I'm going to start going for long walks and help it out. Seeing how I can't even sneeze right now without sending my body into "contraction city", I think a long walk everyday should get the process going. Who knows...maybe my body isn't ready at all and I'll carry the full 40 weeks (or beyond, God help us)...but if my instincts are right I think he'll be coming sooner rather than later :)

I've also found myself needing tons of extra patience for those hours when he has slowed down in movement. I'm pretty sure he's dropped (yes, my bladder is confirming that fact right now) and I've heard babies slow down once they drop. All I know is that it freaks me out. It brings back memories of Sarah's movements stopping and all the emotions that came with losing our little girl. I simply can't go through that again. How weird that I even feel like its a possibility?! I mean...I know its real and it can happen...but I have felt so much peace (overall) in this pregnancy knowing that our little River will be delivered healthy and into our arms. I guess part of me still doesn't believe that yet. That part of me seems to come alive when he stops moving - and let me tell you - its not fun trying to fight those thoughts.

On a brighter note, we are officially ready here at the Dalton house! The crib is set. Dresser/changing table all packed with diapers and clothes (washed and organized by size of course!). We had the car seat bases put in each car today. I have a bag packed with the basics for the hospital. We also found a cool glider/rocking chair on craigslist for $20! Can't beat craigslist :) Thanks to everyone who has given gifts and helped us celebrate in this way...it has been pure joy for me - I'm in serious nesting mode! If only you knew how much these little steps have healed my heart!! Things that I was never able to do with Sarah. We have a big bag of pink clothes tucked away in the closet up above River's crib...I like to call them my Hope Clothes. I wasn't about to lose hope and not get her stuff, but the reality was we really knew we couldn't do more than that. Someday we'll have a sweet little girl to fill them all in :)

All that to say...I'm ready! Patience is needed. And we're so unbelievable thankful that sometimes I can hardly stand it and want to just scream at the top of my lungs!!! Thanks for everyone's prayers and support...keep praying that this little guy stays in a few more days (and if you want to pray an added bonus prayer, that he keeps moving frequently for his momma's sanity!)

More to come soon...

1 comment:

The Clays said...

This is a time of such mixed emotions. Praying for continued peace and patience as you await River's arrival. We can't wait to see pics of your little man :-)