Friday, August 21, 2009

Growing like a weed - only cuter :)


Our little River is growing like a weed, only cuter :) We had our 1 month check-up yesterday and I was in shock when the measurements were read! She also told me that River is acting more like a 2 month old than a 1 month old in terms of eye movement, strength, talking and all around development. Forget being the President or playing for the NFL, that did it for me! One proud Mom :) I know you probably don't care all that much, but for people like my mom I figure its worth writing about - here are the measurements from yesterday:

1 week check-up: 20 inches long & 6lbs 8oz

1 month check-up: 23 inches long & 9lbs 9oz

If that's not growing like a weed, I don't know what is!! 3 inches and 3lbs 1oz...I was so impressed by my little man that I took the time to try a spoonful of my milk last night (I know, probably something you also don't really care to hear)...it seriously tasted like sugar filled cream...all that was missing was the coffee. No wonder the little guy wants to eat all the time! How nice to be a baby :)

I had no idea what a gift it would be to actually have River in my arms. I've mentioned it before, but to see Sarah in him makes it that much better. It's also been so nice having people comment on how cute he is or how peaceful he is (they don't see him getting his diaper changed some days!) - but without fail comes the dreaded question, "Is he your first?" The scenario from there is the same every time (some responses vary, but mostly the same):

Me: No, he's not our first.
Curious bystander: Oh! How old is your first?
Me: Actually, we had a little girl and she died a year ago April.
Curious bystander: (with the 'Dang I feel like a fool, why did I ask that stupid question' look on their face) Oh, I'm so sorry.
Me: Thanks. We wouldn't trade her or the experience for anything in the world.
Curious bystander: Ok, have a great day (as they walk away awkwardly)

I find myself immediately in conversation with Sarah as I walk away from these encounters - "You were/are worth it! We wouldn't trade you for anything Sarah...we just wish you were here."

Such is life...I can't wait until River is old enough to understand all of this. I can't even fathom the joy my heart will get hearing his sister's name come out of his little mouth. Family will take on a whole new meaning :)

2 comments:

Wells said...

aaaaah i love reading all about it. gotta see him soon! blessings.

Kimberly Peterson said...

You guys have been SO brave to be honest and let people into that precious and tender place in your hearts. I'm so proud of you for the way you've given Sarah her place in your family. Bless you all. Kisses to the Smidgin. :)